TXANS Association of Responsible Nonsubscribers
807 Brazos Street,
Austin, TX 78701
TXANS's News/Press Releases
LEAPFROG PUBLISHES FIRST TOP HOSPITAL LIST
The Survey results from over 1,200 hospitals (56 percent of Americans live within 25 miles of three or more of these hospitals) reveal significant findings about the state of health care quality and safety in the nation’s hospitals. The Survey asks hospitals about their awareness and action on 30 “Safe Practices for Better Healthcare” endorsed by the National Quality Forum. Of all the hospitals responding to the Survey:
• Nine in ten hospitals have implemented procedures to avoid wrong-site surgeries (operating on the wrong part of the body); and,
• Eight in ten hospitals require a pharmacist to review all medication orders before medication is given to patients.
Mark McClellan, Administrator, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, stated, “Instead of just talking about improving health care quality, The Leapfrog Group has been taking innovative
steps to support hospitals in doing it. The Leapfrog Hospital Quality and Safety Survey shows the benefits of better information about quality of care, and is helping Americans get better care and better value.”
However, many hospitals still have significant progress to make. Among responding hospitals:
• More than nine in ten have not implemented computer physician order entry to
• Nine in ten fail to meet the standards for performing two high-risk procedures: coronary artery bypass graft surgery (90 percent) and abdominal aortic aneurysm repair (96 percent);
• Seven in ten do not enlist intensivists (ICU specialists) to oversee patient care in the ICU according to Leapfrog’s standard;
• Five in ten do not have an explicit protocol to ensure adequate nursing staff, or a policy to check with patients to make sure they understand the risks of their procedures; and,
• Three in ten lack procedures for preventing malnutrition in patients, and do not vaccinate their health care workers against the flu.
The Leapfrog Hospital Quality and Safety Survey is the only national survey that provides as full an assessment of a hospital’s quality and safety. The Leapfrog website displays each hospital’s results, which can be viewed by anyone at no charge, and is updated each month with data from additional hospitals. Survey data are collected and analyzed by Thomson Medstat.
About the Leapfrog Group. On behalf of the millions of Americans for whom many of the nation’s largest corporations and public agencies buy health benefits, The Leapfrog Group aims to use its members’ collective leverage to initiate breakthrough improvements in the safety, quality, and affordability of health care for Americans. It is a voluntary program aimed at mobilizing employer purchasing power to alert America’s health industry that big leaps in health care safety, quality and customer value will be recognized and rewarded. The Leapfrog Group was founded in November 2000 by the Business Roundtable and has support from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, as well as its members and other funders. For more information, visit www.leapfroggroup.org.